Thursday, July 12, 2012

An Evening Spent in Aimless Thought.

          Cold and swift, the river pulled me under. Time and again I found the surface, only to be drug back to the bottom by the cruel, grasping hands of the current. After what felt like an eternity I fought my way free and stumbled onto the dank floor of a forest. A forest so deep, dark, and forboding that I could not find the courage to begin a journey through it. The stony shores of the grasping river seemed to me a better place to wait out the night.
          And so I sat, shivering in the overcast gloom. No stars to let me know I was not alone, not even a mosquito to keep me company. I sat until I heard it, sounds deep and drumbling, like thunder on the horizon. Only this was sinister, like a reptile's hiss before it's fangs sink into flesh. I felt prickles of fear run up and down my spine... I would have to run again. Soon. Warm breezes began to tug at my wet hair, gentle and calming, it nearly made me fall asleep. But my subconscious mind screamed until the realization dawned that it was not the cool wind of the night. The warmth was unnatural, like this whole night had been. It reminded me of the warm breath of a horse's friendly nuzzle. Sudden fear gripped my stomach as I reached this realization. I didn't dare turn to look at whatever was breathing on me. Instead I leapt to my feet and sprinted into the darkness of the forest. Dark, angry snarls erupted from behind me, driving me faster, deeper, into the thick green of the unknown.
           I ran until I could not run, and so dragged myself, grasping onto trees and vines intead. Then oddly enough the sounds behind me dissappeared and I found myself staring through a window. This window was so large it was the size of a movie screen. It was if I had been stuck in the very front row of the auditorium and had to lean back to watch the show. Through this screen I could see the face of a girl. Her red hair sloppily thrown over one shoulder and a pencil tucked behind her ear. She looked to be deep in thought, maybe even frustrated about something. She wrinkled her nose, picked out a crusty booger and flicked it away. A smirk spread over her face and she gave a devilish laugh. Her hands returned to the table in front of her and...
           Louder and louder grew the angry snarls. Whatever this mysterious thing was, it was getting closer. I couldn't run any longer. I knew my end was soon to come. I turned to face the monster with all the bravery I could muster...

-------------------------------
Aren't you so glad we are not characters in books?

No comments:

Post a Comment