Sunday, February 27, 2011

Half-chewed Toast and a Call to Unity.

     Between dodging pieces of half-chewed toast spewed in my direction via. a certain 1 year old and in turn spooning globs of strawberry yogurt into said toddler's mouth, I managed to read at least one page this morning in the Expositors Bible Commentary (Ephesians~Philipians) written by Tremper Longman III & David E. Garland. I am reading the section on Ephesians 4:1-7 to gather information for my impending exposition on Friday. Once again, I assumed this book would be boring and I wasn't disappointed. Like many commentaries it seems to drag on and on, detailing the link of the current phrase to some overlooked word in the previous chapter. Mud. Thick, cold mud to my tired brain.
     But once again, I have been surprised at how certain parts just jump out at me, grab onto my heart and won't let me forget.  Please bear with me as I share.

    "Unity has a spiritual basis, but it has visible results. Perhaps its attainment in history has been so difficult because Christians have not sought spiritual unity. They have pursued their own (often conflicting) agendas---which they have called "unity." To strive for the unity the Spirit produces, requires that one incontestably pursue God's agenda."
                              
    "This is the theological reality --- the indicative: Christ achieved peace via. His death. Now follows the imperative: Christians must implement unity by sparing no efforts to live in peace. In effect, "Become what you are."  Quarreling, fractures, and hostilities --- either on the level of the church universal or within each local church --- destroy the unity of the Spirit."

     Growing up in many different churches I got to witness firsthand the destruction that a church full of people with own "agendas" for unity can cause. Families are hurt, children are confused and wonder why they can't go play with their friends anymore, and the Great Commission given by Jesus to all believers is forgotten and trampled underfoot by everyone's differences.
     Something very interesting I have come across on the internet is this article about the Lutheren church asking forgiveness from the Anabaptist church. Click here -> Lutherens seek forgiveness.
     The Lutheren church very strongly opposed the Anabaptists when they first originated. Even going so far as to slaughter thousands of them in cold blood. I love that they have finally decided to make ammends even though it is hundreds of years later. There are individual churches I know of that would probably never think of doing this because they are still living for their own agendas. Sad, and quite disgusting if you ask me.

"The church is the beachhead for a peace that is to extend to the cosmos." - Yoder Neufeld

2 comments:

  1. SO true... I agree. It makes me so aggrivated watching 'Christians' fight and fuss over petty little things. I wanna say 'just grow up already'!!:) Thanks for sharing your heart... I so enjoy reading friends thoughts and writings! And wanted you to know I stopped by...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou! I'm so glad you agree with me! :-D I have wanted to write on these things for a long time now but just never really had the heart or the courage to do so. If nothing else, going back to school has opened a whole new world of awareness and tools that I am learning how to use to express my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete